The Director, National Archives is also the Registrar of Books and Newspapers. This Division is responsible for the Registration of Books and Newspapers published in the Island and it is the legal depository for such publications.
In addition computerizing the list of Newspapers, updating the list of Newspapers and its printing and other related information, inspection of Bookshops, computerizing the lists of publications received, registration of monthly declarations, preparing the index for Journals and gazettes also been done.
Five copies of all publications are to be sent with RBN 1 form to the Department of National Archives under the Printers and Publishers Ordinance. RBN forms could be obtained from the Department of National Archives.Four of these copies are sent one each to the National Library and Documentation Centre, National Museums Library, the Library of the University of Peradeniya and the Library of the University of Ruhuna.
Registration & Administration of Printing Presses.
Registration of Printing Presses, inspection of Printing Presses, updating the list of Printing Presses, publishing the list of printing presses and taking legal action against Printing Presses are done under the Printing Presses Ordinance and the Printers and Publishers Ordinance.
Printing Presses Ordinance and Printers and Publishers Ordinance
- Printing Presses Ordinance, No. 16 of 1902
- Printing Presses (Amendment) Act, No. 20 of 1951
- Printing Presses (Amendment) Act, No. 22 of 1955
- Printing Presses (Amendment) Act, No. 26 of 1983
- Printers and Publishers Ordinance, No. 01 of 1885
- Printers and Publishers (Amendment) Act, No. 28 of 1951
- Printers and Publishers (Amendment) Act, No. 06 of 1976
- Printers and Publishers (Amendment) Act, No. 27 of 1983
- Newspaper Ordinance, No. 05 of 1839
- Newspaper (Amendment) Act, No. 18 of 1951
- Newspaper (Amendment) Act, No. 05 of 1976
- Newspapers (Sinhala) - 1860,1862 onwards
- Newspapers (Tamil) - 1864 onwards
- Newspapers (English) - 1832 onwards
- Other newspapers (e.g. Malay) - 1869
Application forms could be obtained from the Branch of Registration of Books and Newspapers
Monthly Declaration form.
A printer should furnish, before the 5th day of the next month, a list of publications done during the month, previous to the aforesaid 5th day and even of no publication had been done, a NIL report has to be furnished.