There are 06 repositories in this Department, with documents, if lined up will extent to 22 km. Primary and secondary documents of the Dutch and British periods, newspapers and the post-independent era records are deposited in these repositories.
Documents deposited in the Repositories
- Dutch period records from 1640 to 1796
- British period records from 1796 - 1947
- Important documents of all government institutions after 1948
- Newspapers published in Sri Lanka, since 1832
- Printed publications and books since 1885
- Collection of historical, hand written documents
- Collection of confidential documents
- Collection of private documents
- Collection of maps
In addition legal collection of the Department has been deposited in two repositories.